Ok, while some of those comments may seem a little out of the ordinary, I myself I have thought it recently as a judge! And when I gave it some more thought, I wondered just how many of us have been educated on proper undergarments...so here we go, this is your official "Pageant Undergarments Guide"!
When In Swim Wear, Please Consider:
- Bra Fillers or Chicken Cutlets
- You will want the gel filled kind for swimsuit so it appears more natural and feels better in your suit. These cannot be sewn in.
- You can get the sew in kind as well (non-gel filled), but these may feel a little odd
- Note: "pageant quality" swimsuits are usually well-lined and this means that they can be a bit thicker, so they hide some of your assets. Do not be afraid to enhance your figure (tastefully) with these cutlets.
- Butt glue/adhesive spray
- Ok, this is not an undergarment, but many find it to be a swimwear necessity. You put your swim bottoms on and then lift up the "cheeks" part. Spray your skin/cheek and wait a few seconds so the spray is sticky. Then lay the swimsuit fabric as smoothly as possible onto the cheek, exactly where you want it to sit. It will stick where you place it.
- I highly advise doing both cheeks at the same time.
- You'll also need baby wipes to wipe off the stickiness after you take it off - you don't want to stick to your other garments.
- Make sure to get an actual body adhesive glue and test it before pageant weekend - during the competition weekend is not the time to find out that you are allergic to the adhesive or that it rips your skin when pulling the swimsuit off!
- Note: your skin should not rip off! You must get a body glue that is for skin.
- Suggested: http://www.amazon.com/STAYS-BODY-ADHESIVE-1000-BELL/dp/B0015DA0E2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453240268&sr=1-1&keywords=body+glue
- Shoes: ok, again, NOT an undergarment, but you will want nude strapped shoes.
- Most popular shoe on the market now: Tippy Tops by Chinese Laundry, nude
- Second most popular: Jonathan Kayne Savannah Heels
- The most experienced contestants have either one of these. Nude heels elongate your legs and colors will shorten it. You are looking for minimal straps and a great heel.
When In Evening Wear/Modeling:
- Fashion tape
- Sometimes you have a strap that won't lay flat or a low cut top that you need to secure to your body; use fashion tape to tape the fabric to your body!
- Suggested: http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Fashion-Secrets-10227-Value/dp/B00AR4BLWA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453240640&sr=8-3&keywords=fashion+tape
- Safety pins: not an undergarment but a must pack!
- See above, chicken cutlets: "pageant quality" gowns are usually made of thicker fabric and sometimes it may be difficult to show you have a figure. Utilize your sew-in cutlets here, as the gel ones may slip down!
- High-waisted underwear
- If you are wearing a gown that is a bit more fitter, you NEVER want to show panty lines! Avoid this disaster by wearing a full length underwear (i.e. spanx) so you get a sleek figure!
When In Interview
- The right bra
- You may be wearing a halter dress or a cap sleeve or whatever! Choose the right bra for your outfit (this includes color).
- I've seen too many underwear lines in interview. I've also seen too many interview dresses that were NOT well lined!
- A slip works kind of like a long tank top would but it is so much classier!
- Now this really depends on your pageant system. Some like pantyhose and some do not. If you do need to wear pantyhose, make sure it is skin-colored/nude! And no, not everyone is the same shade of "nude"! If your skin is a warm brown and you show up wearing white pantyhose, you will look out of style and well, a bit ridiculous!
Hope this helps! Please share this "Pageant Undergarments Guide" post AND comment below with your thoughts =)